EPSOM SALT BATHS
To print this information please follow link at end of page.
- Relaxation of muscles: magnesium is a natural signal for your muscles to relax.
- Lowers blood pressure: it relaxes your vessels too.
- Detoxification: the high concentration of magnesium pulls heavy metals and toxins from your body.
- Soak for 20 minutes or more.
- Rinse off in a cool shower if using for detoxification purposes.
- Caution: Get out of the bath very SLOWLY and grab onto something to stabilize yourself. Your blood pressure can drop as much as 20 points and this can make some people light headed.
- These baths can dry your skin. If this is the case for you, use a light vegetable oil on skin prior to the bath. (Note however that the baths are more effective if no oil is used.)
Epsom salts are sold in small quantities at almost all stores. If you take baths frequently, however, it is cheaper to purchase the salts in 50 pound bags. I pour mine into a container and use a large scoop to transfer it to the bath.
I've listed just a couple of stores below that sell the large bags. You should know that epsom salts will often be referred to it as magnesium sulfate, which is what it's called when used for gardening purposes.